Database Operations – Overview¶
Let us get an overview of Database Operations we typically perform on regular basis. They are broadly categorized into the following:
- DDL – Data Definition Language
- CREATE/ALTER/DROP Tables
- CREATE/ALTER/DROP Indexes
- Add constraints to tables
- CREATE/ALTER/DROP Views
- CREATE/ALTER/DROP Sequences
- DML – Data Manipulation Language
- Inserting new data into the table
- Updating existing data in the table
- Deleting existing data from the table
- DQL – Data Query Language
- Read the data from the table
On top of these we also use TCL (Transaction Control Language) which include COMMIT and ROLLBACK.
As part of this section in the subsequent topics we will primarily focus on basic DDL and DML.