Setup SQL Workbench¶
Let us understand how to setup and use SQL Workbench.Why SQL Workbench
Let us see the details why we might have to use SQL Workbench.
- Using Database CLIs such as psql for postgres, mysql etc can be cumbersome for those who are not comfortable with command line interfaces.
- Database IDEs such as SQL Workbench will provide required features to run queries against databases with out worrying to much about underlying data dictionaries.
- SQL Workbench provide required features to review databases and objects with out writing queries or running database specific commands.
- Also Database IDEs provide capabilities to preserve the scripts we develop.
In short Database IDEs such as SQL Workbench improves productivity.
There are several IDEs in the market.
- SQL Developer for Oracle
- MySQL Workbench
and many others
Install SQL Workbench
Here are the instructions to setup SQL Workbench.
- Download SQL Workbench (typically zip file)
- Unzip and launch
Once installed we need to perform below steps which will be covered in detail as part of next topic.
- Download JDBC driver for the database we would like to connect.
- Get the database connectivity information and connect to the database.