Impala is SQL Engine. But instead of using Map Reduce for processing it takes care of it in its own way.
- Most of the Hive commands work in Impala
- Hive CLI Commands such as show tables
- DDL, DML, and Queries developed in Hive will work in Impala
- It understands partitions and takes care of partition pruning
- There might be a few issues with respect to some of the file formats and compression algorithms.
- It does not use Map Reduce or YARN for processing. Instead, it uses Impalad for processing.
- We can launch impala-shell to run queries and also connect reporting tools such as Tableau to run queries.
- Let us see a quick demo about how to use Impala Shell and run queries.