Hive Commands and Queries are very important for developers. However, it is important for Big Data Administrators to have some knowledge about these.
- Hive CLI can be launched using hive. We can also run individual hive commands without getting into Hive CLI using hive -e.
- We can also use hive -s to pass series of commands as a script.
- You can check as well as update the properties using set command.
- We can override properties in .hiverc to overwrite behavior of all hive sessions initiated by respective OS user.
- Hive supports DDL, DML as well as SQL – to create tables, to load data into tables as well as process data.
- Hive uses HDFS for underlying storage which is good for larger files. Due to this, Hive has restrictions with respect to traditional DML.
- There are no transaction management commands such as commit, rollback etc.